Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Are you a common man?

There was a time when I thought I would change the world. Not could, but would, as in that was my sole purpose for being born. For a very long time, I believed in destiny, in fate, in God and in myself. So much so, I thought myself somewhat special. Not special in the sense that I was better, but special in that I had a specific job to do. Specific and special, assigned by God (or perhaps by aliens but that's a different story) to make the world a better place.

I've always had a personal view of how the world should be laid out, along political, social, cultural and religious veins and the relationship of each, to the other, and to the body. Always thought my ideas were somewhat solid, even if they were somewhat simplistic but I think it's a fair and substantive question to ask if a Nation should seek respect before power, if belief proceeds needs and determines ritual, if education enhances compassion, and in what way?

30 years ago, I really believed that by the time I was in my fifties, we'd have a moon base, moved on to Mars, beaten back poverty, experiance the beginnnings of a spiritual awakening as well making inroads into prejudice.

I guess I kind of figured the human race didn't need my input. That you'd all be allright, that you'd get to where you need to be with out my help. I kind of haven't worried about humanity for the last 30 years as I went about raising my kids, working and having fun but a funny thing happened the other day.

I woke up!

 I realized I really don't like the world we've made for ourselves simply because I know we can do better, a hell of a lot better. Thing is, I'm a dreamer, and I do happen to believe that dreams do come true, but I'm also smart enough to understand, that they don't come true without hard work, sweat, hard faith and diligence.

Maybe my destiny is still in play? May be, that I'm not a comman man?

And You?

No comments:

Post a Comment